31 December 2016

Happy Holidays

I love winter holidays. The colors, the lights, and all the food is so perfect during this time of year. The end of the year is the best time to rest and spend with loved ones as well as look back on everything that has happened over the past months. It's a time to reflect on the good, the bad and the blessings.

Life is happening fast, so it seems, as the people around me are really moving into adulthood! I haven't had much time to really think about all the things that I have done this year. I can only say that I really persevered this year. There were so many things I wanted to do, say, and accomplish this year that I did not get to do because I just wasn't truly willing. But God really dragged me with His grace. Now that I think about it, there are three big things I have learned and am still learning that sums up my year.

Do Not Rush Life
I've pretty much been doing the opposite of this since I can remember. It really took me until my brother's wedding to realize how fast I move through my own life. Every moment of life is precious and valuable because we can't get it back and live through it again. You don't have the opportunity to wait until the next day to feel those emotions or experience what happened yesterday in your current moment, so it's best to cherish the moments while they are happening. Before you know it, what you were most likely looking forward to is now here and you've missed out on all the equally awesome moments leading up to it.
Trust the process
We all learn some day that skipping steps in life does not make it easy for us. It could even make the process longer than expected. If I could, I would want to look ahead at my life and see where it is going, especially during moments where I feel lost, but luckily that is not how life works. Life brings trials and tribulations as well as joy in order for us to learn and live through our mistakes. I learned firsthand that skipping through the steps in life elongates my journey and brings unnecessary problems that could have been avoided. All things work together for the good of those who love the Lord and I am grateful for that, but some things in life still could be prevented if you take time. 
Lean not on your own strength
I have literally told God not to worry about certain areas of my life because I believed that "I got this." And those very areas of my life is where I have struggled the most. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging your weakness (but not giving into them) and asking God to give you strength. Friends included, there is no shame in asking for help sometimes. We were not created to do life alone, that is why we have family, whether blood related or not, who do life with us and are there to uplift each other and help us to become the best version of ourselves.

I am excited and hopeful for the new year. I want to see a better, consistent, intentional me. There are a few things I prayed for in 2015 that I heard God tell me will happen in 2017. So I am looking forward to the good and not so good of 2017.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sizekolie. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig