22 August 2015

Writing for Your Not Personal Blog

Right now I am simultaneously writing a much overdue post for Urban Disciple. I'm not sure if I've told you guys this, but I'm an editor-in-chief of this really cool Christian "blog" type of thing with a team of five (now six) other cool people. It's fun. It's challenging. It's so rewarding.

The thing is though, it is extremely hard for me to get my creative juices flowing when it's my turn to submit an article. I've always been like that though, ever since I wrote for my school newspaper in high school, and every single college paper I've done so far. I find it much easier to just write here and to constantly come up with topics, because I'm not really using this to attend to a specific audience of people. I don't even think I really have an audience, except yesterday I randomly had almost 50 page visits which was very weird and new. But with my fellow Christian blog-readers, it's a little overwhelming.

Some readers are low-key rude and opinionated, which makes me nervous. Since we have four writers for the site, people tend to 'favorite' one writer more than the other. Some just hate our site and vision all together lol. I don't want to write something so thought-revoking or so mediocre that my Christian friends won't agree with. And honestly, sometimes I have to really dig deep and meditate on what God wants me to write. It's like preparing for a sermon! Imagine if I wrote a whole article with not one scripture reference, or an article that looks like a knock off of somebody else's blog/sermon. I can't handle the pressure sometimes!

But as always, I get it done. Whether I get a good reception or not, it gets posted, and people read it. Sometimes I get good feedback, sometimes I don't. But I shouldn't care, as long as I wrote exactly what God has placed on my heart, and He's proud.

I don't think I ever overcome this mass of anxiety every time it's time for me to write. It kind of forces me to get it done, and I always end up being very proud of my work. Some places and topics are easier for me to write than others, but it all gets done the same way.

Now that I've confessed, back to this article guys. Stay tuned.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I have a faith based blogs and I do too get stumped at what's the "right" thing to write or if I'll offend anybody but God sat me down on day after coffee and told me write what's on your heart, write as if your just having a conversation with me. It help me a lot better to get the pressure of everyone else off and to relax. I hope it helps you. I would love to know what site your writing for?! I few like Christian blogs are far and few compare to the beauty/fashion. Feel free to message/email me.

    Take care
    Christina | TheWritingsOfFaith.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina!

      Thanks for the tip, focusing on what the Lord is saying to me and not on how others will respond def. takes the pressure off. The website I'm apart of is called "urbndisciple.com". Check it out, and I'll be visiting yours!

      Thanks for visiting,
      Toyin

      Delete

© Sizekolie. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig