13 March 2017

Consistency vs Feelings

One thing that I noticed about people (myself included) is that we sometimes lack consistency. Whether it is pursuing our relationship with God and people, honing our skills and perfecting our crafts, going to the gym, the list goes on. One moment I see a blogger (or vlogger) producing content on a scheduled basis for about a month or so, then they disappear for a while to rebrand (for the fifth time), or for another reason. Or someone is pursuing God with all their energy for a couple of months, and the next moment they've disappeared from fellowship. Or someone who started a service business and as soon as business is booming, they've gotten lazy busy and also disappeared. And I realized that one of the reasons (possibly) is because we do things based off of our emotions.

My feelings tend to fluctuate based on my circumstances, who I'm around, whether or not I've eaten, the weather, if my hair is done, school, this list also goes on. If I'm not in the right mood, I feel like I can't do my homework (am I ever in the right mood for homework), or stay up to date with my blog and stuff. I don't think that's a good thing. Letting our emotions dictate our actions is not the best thing to do.

To be constant means the quality of being faithful, dependable, enduring, and unchanging. It shouldn't have anything to do with how we feel. A big problem is when we let our emotions lead the way we live our lives. Our mood naturally changes, so we won't always feel like doing anything. Who gets up every morning and feels like going to work or school? That check and GPA is what really gets us. There needs to be something greater that gives us the consistency to keep going.

I'm not sure what that something is. Maybe it's choice, maybe desire, maybe our heart's preference (that constantly needs renewing). We can't wait for the right moment or mood to get things done. We shouldn't start on something and not finish it.

This is completely different from toiling. You will know when you are toiling, or when you should stop doing something and take another route. This is about letting your feelings get in the way of accomplishing your goals and projects and relationships and everything else in life.

I believe that God's constant love for us, not out of simple obligation or choice, is a model to us to not move based off of emotion. Lucky for us, God is always in the mood to love us, forgive us, and be a Father to us because of the will Jesus fulfilled for all humanity, not because He's in a good mood today.

Now I understand that not everyone has the same situation. Whatever the case may be, when you want something, pursue it wholeheartedly without allowing your emotions to get in the way. Find what works best for you in order to stay consistent in accomplishing your goals and passions.

I don't have the answers clearly, but I want to encourage you and I to value consistency in all that we endeavor to do.

"Do you see a man skillful in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men" Proverbs 22:29
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sizekolie. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig